home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Using Perming Rods


For a while now I've been intending to try the above style, worn by the lovely Lolita Haze. My bangs were growing out so it took me some time to get to it. But one of the primary reasons I wanted to give it a shot was so I could finally try Lolita's 'set' of choice, perming rods. I sent her a variety of emails to make sure I got it right and unfortunately I lost the following setting pattern until just yesterday! So here is the cute little setting diagram that she sent:

Anyway, at her suggestion I purchased a couple of packs of the peach colored rods (as available at Sally's Beauty Supply) and I also purchased a pack of the purple ones, which are slightly smaller. Since I had misplaced the setting diagram, I rolled my hair in a haphazard manner, making sure to keep the rollers around ear level, so as to eliminate the inevitable volume at the crown of my hair. Since my hair is longer, I had to alter the style somewhat based on the size of my resulting curls. I didn't use a setting solution, just water, but I can honestly say the curls were really impressive and I can see this becoming one of my favorite sets as well.



The sales lady at Sally's had incorrectly informed me that 'you can't use these rods w/out end papers'. Not true, but I can see what she means. If you have layers, it's a bit difficult to wrap the hair around the roller since the hard plastic is slippery and the hair doesn't grip it. End papers would come in handy here but moistening hair a bit will also make this easier. The longer length of the rollers is likewise useful since larger swatches of hair can be rolled at once. All in all, I'd say the 'trial run' of perming rods was a success. I could have stood to use smaller ones, to achieve the tighter curl I wanted, but that's another story for another time.

Video Tutorial:

7 comments:

Hello Jodi said...

Lovely!
I use end papers for every set - I actually prefer toilet paper though, as a square is larger than a perm end paper and makes sure to capture all the layers. My parents (both hairdressers) always did this when I was a kid to protect my hair from the ultra-hot Hot Sticks that were a must for giant 1980s hair.

Yesterday Girl said...

I've been curious about perming rods for a while too. I'll definitely have to give it a go now, it looks super! x

Sirens Sexy said...

Oh, I just love this look! I am going to have to give it a go tonight :D

superheidi said...

You are adorable, as always!

Toni said...

I love it! It's one of my favourites that you've done. I've tried using perm rods too and although they're a bit annoying to sleep in the end result is great! Keep up the fabulous videos. x

Average Mama said...

I tried your hairstyle. Not even close to being as professional as you are when it comes to styling my hair, but I was very happy with the way it turned out. :)

http://justtheaveragemama.blogspot.com/2010/11/vintage-hairstyle-attempt-2.html

Thanks for giving great tutorials! I've learned a lot from you already, and still so much to try out!

Manna Lynn said...

I love this look and I ended up buying a kit from a girl no longer in cosmetology school that has a ton of perm rods! Now I have a way to use them!! :o) Fabulous as always, Lisa!!

Post a Comment