home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Monday, July 28, 2014

Reviewing: Tressmerize Extensions

Sometimes things just work out.

A couple of months ago, I was hemming and hawing, trying to figure out how to go about doing some of the long haired styles I wanted to try, but knowing all too well that my Glamtime extensions were the wrong color and a new investment would likely be necessary.

Enter Tressmerize.

The owner of the company was referred to me by a friend, and asked if I wanted to try out her amazing luxury extensions for the purpose of review...Yes, please!! After all, the extensions are created specifically for shorter or fine hair, and include a (gulp) HAIR TOPPER too! What is hair-topper, you may ask? Well, think Ginger of Gilligan's Island, or Jane Fonda in Barbarella, and you can see why this idea appealed to me.
See, a 'fall', which is what those ladies were known to wear, was typically a partial wig that was worn at the crown to give extra volume and that signature '60's' bombshell look. While this product is not really MEANT to mimic that era, with just a tiny bit of coaxing it certainly can. The topper is actually a tool for hiding shorter upper layers, and it works beautifully for that. But since a 3/4 wig nowadays in natural hair can run upwards of 300.00, this set of extensions is also a godsend for retro gals like me.



My mind began to whirl around the possibilities, when I got the product in the mail. Jane Fonda...Michele Carey...ooooh, what about Dorothy Gish? These are all possible with the new extensions so pardon me as a swoon and rave for a moment...

While Tressmerize doesn't have a huge color range, I was assured that they are virgin hair and easily colored. Which is lucky, because they were totally the wrong shade for me. The site doesn't have very good photos currently of the different color swatches so I took the owner's advice with the ones she sent and I'll admit I was a little concerned. They were a very basic yellow blonde, sort of like when you first bleach a full head of hair to the yellow stage, before toning.


That said, the texture was still silky and the clips were very sturdy...all in all, I'd say these are the best quality clip-in extensions I've used yet. I was skeptical that such a silky texture of hair would hold onto the color I'd inevitably have to apply...but try it I must.

In the interests of budget, I chose a super-duper cheapo brand of hair color, that 'Balsam Color' stuff you can get for like, 3 bucks at the grocery.


And lo' and behold, they turned out to be the perfect shade of dark honey blonde that matched my hair! Such a fortunate thing!!

Dutifully, I pin curled them and laid them out to dry so I could prepare them for my trial run.


Unlike my Glamtime extensions, which became somewhat dry and brittle after coloring and setting, these maintained their silky texture even after the process, which was another huge relief. I honestly couldn't have been more impressed with the actual product and was anxious to get started styling them.

My first endeavor was to re-create an 'Aurora' sort of look, for my Animated Angels series.


The look had previously been done on my channel using just my own shoulder length red locks, so I was anxious to do something a little more whimsical, but still wearable. I was very pleased with how easily the extensions installed, blended with my hair, and styled. The overall look came out pretty well, and I was pleased to add the video to my playlist of options for channeling animated ladies in a more realistic way.


Enjoy the video tutorial, below:



To sum up, Tressmerize is a great product, and well worth the price tag (the full set is 297.00, which is still less than a 3/4 wig in human hair and far more versatile).

And that's my opinion.

xxoo,

Ashley


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Ashley - you should write a book - the Aurora look makes you look very angelic -

Post a Comment