home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Sunday, July 3, 2016

Jane Jetson Gets the 'Animated Angels' Treatment...Again!


So not so long ago, in a comparatively kidless house, I did a Jane Jetson look for my Animated Angels series. The look was scatterbrained and bad quality, but I still dug it. However the powers-that-be in copyright-land, decided it could not stay on Youtube. The look now only exists in a few random photos from several several years ago.

Time has passed, hair has shortened, and I have decided to recreate a 'Jane' look for the series. The video quality is still not ideal when it comes to makeup, but this series is still one of my favorites because I feel so much more like I have 'free reign' when it comes to the look I want to achieve. My 'Bad Minnie' will have to be next!

That said, this week's video is for those of you who wish to channel the matriarch of the Jetson clan, without going full-on costume.


Starting with Makeup:

The makeup in this look is inspired by the early sixties, when bold opaque colors were used in high fashion all over the tear duct area, and fake bottom lashes were often drawn onto the model. Twiggy-lashes were all the rage and I decided to do them for this look, on a much more subdued scale. The top lashes are also big, long, sixties-inspired ones that flare out at the end. Mine are Ardells but dang it, if I didn't throw the box away! Anyway, any sort of spikey fluttery lash should work brilliantly. Otherwise, the application and techniques are pretty standard.


Foundation notes: I'm wearing my favorite Clarins True Radiance foundation in this video, with only Clinique Moisture Surge as a primer. Both can be pricey but the finish should be subtle and you can use whichever you prefer. The blush and highlighter I used is neither here nor there...but I do recommend in the video that you get the Nyx Strobing palette for highlighting since it's the BEST one I've tried!!

Eyeshadow notes: The eyeshadow palette I'm using is by Stila and it was in a purple cardboard packaging. The name of the palette was 'In the Moment', but it's since been discontinued. The colors are great though, so if you can find one anywhere, I highly recommend it. If not, no worries...you can use anything that you like. Just keep in mind that frosty eyeshadows do tend to be more reliable from the drugstore than matte ones. Just a sad fact.

Eyeliner notes: Okay, ya'll know that I'm not going to recommend you skimp when it comes to Eyeliner. The Pretty Easy Lining pen by Clinique is still my favorite since the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner...and it's cheaper! Draws thick and thin lines equally well and lasts FOREVER!

Lip Color Notes: The Soft Matte Lip Cream by Nyx in the color, 'London, is my all-time favorite nude shade, so get it! It's only 6.00 and it feels and smells great...sort of a no-brainer. The liner is also fantastic...hot mocha by Napoleon Perdis. It's not available in the US though, from what I understand, so find something similar that registers as a cool nude on your skin tone. The silvery lip gloss is by MAC and it's a discontinued shade called Flurry of Fun. Find anything with a bluish hieroglyphic glitter in it and you'll be golden...or...errr...silver-en?

_____________________________

Hair Notes: As you know, I live in Memphis Tennessee...which is a LITERAL hot-bed of humid stickiness in the summer time. Although I used my Remington Tight Curls for the purpose of this tutorial, it's absolutely NOT recommended for my climate and I'm not sure why I did it. Laziness, I guess. That said, stick with your foam rollers or pin curls for humid climates and follow the same process. If you're in a low-humidity environment, use a curling iron, hot rollers, whatever...knock yourself out!

Hair Product notes: Always use a heat protectant without alcohol and a good hairspray. I'm loving my Sebastion Shaper Plus hairspray for helping fight humidity during our sticky late weather!

So that's about it....make sure to check the video link below for the full tutorial AND outfit suggestions from companies that I feel have options that perfectly encapsulate that whimsical space-age style!

So long, Dearies!

2 comments:

jennipoo said...

I just absolutely love your blog and your YouTube channel. I'm in nursing school and love vintage hairstyles while on the job (I call myself vintage nurse Jennie). Please keep doing what you're doing!

jewlover2 said...

Thanks, Jenipoo!

Post a Comment