home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Tuesday, November 8, 2016

The Sadie Series: Gothic Brides


When you image-search the term 'Gothic Bride', there is a very clear depiction that prevails. White skin, hair dyed 'Black No.1', snowy bosoms struggling to escape from black corset cocoons, and deep red lips easily overshadow other visions of the style. But there are so many different directions one can take this idea. Victorian brides, like the one pictured, also speak the language of Gothic Romance, as do vampiresque mermaid gowns and drippy cobwebs of ivory lace. So the term can call to mind many dramatic styles that mesh and intermingle into one cohesive look. Fans of Jane Eyre, for instance, may see themselves in more of a demure gown that mimics the style of the heroine but also pays homage to the lunacy of Blanche (Ooo, I kinda dig that) in their vision.

In my mind, one gown has always reigned supreme as the be-all-end-all of 'Gothic Gowns'. This 1950's Dior masterpiece is what inspired my tutorial and truly inspires me in just about every other way as well...



With that in mind, the hair and makeup I came up with for this installment of my vintage bridal series is something that would suit a variety of looks that are not specific to any one era.
_________________________


HAIR:

The hair in this tutorial is very simple. I didnt really intend it to be, but as it came about, I decided that it needed to be. I'll be doing a Victorial bridal style soon, which will likely involve a more elaborate coiffure, so I didnt want to distract from the drama of the accessories and such by over-complicating the hair style. Therefore simple side combs, an easy pompadour, and the application of a faux ponytail is all that is required to achieve it.
My hair accessories are from Vintage Box 1947 and Taissa Lada Designs. My faux ponytail extension is by Irresistible Me.



__________________________
MAKEUP:

For the makeup, the secret is layering and blending the eyeshadows so that there is a very diffused smokey look to the eyes. This seems to come off really well in photographs, particularly in black and white shots. The lips are dark, of course, but not black or purple. These colors tend to make the teeth look a bit yellow if you should so happen to offer a toothy grin on the happiest day of your life. Skin is pale and has a satin-matte finish and a subtle highlight. Brows are darker and a bit more arched. Blush is bare to minimal.

Below is the tutorial, followed by a product list, if you'd like to know what I used. I do not believe that product choices are important here...you have unlimited options in this regard and can just use this as a loose reference if you wish.



Products Used:
Clinique Moisture Surge
Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Base
LORAC Behind the Scenes Eyeshadow Primer
Urban Decay, Original Naked Palette
Nyx Jumbo Pencil in 'Black Bean'
Wet n'Wild Pop Art Collection Shadow Palette in Three's a Party
Clinique Pretty Easy Lining Pen in Black
Clarins Supra Volume Mascara in Black
Ardell 105 Glamour Lashes
Napoleon Perdis China Doll Foundation-Shade 2B
Napoleon Perdis Mosaic Blushing Powder
Mary Kay liquid lip color-Discontinued product


So Long, Dearies!
Xoxo,
Ashley

0 comments:

Post a Comment