home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Tuesday, May 4, 2010

'How High's the Water, Mama?'



The flooding in Nashville,Tennessee is worth documenting on all types of blogs, including so-called 'Beauty Blogs'. For the first time in my memory, the Cumberland River took over the city and the water rose as high as fifth avenue.

photo by Robert Windel

Our beautiful Opryland Hotel suffered in a way I find hard to comprehend. I've been stomping the grounds of this hotel since my early teens...many of friends honeymooned or got engaged here. The conservatory was a matter of great pride, among Nashvillians, and yet this is what it looks like now.



Thousands of people lost their homes. This is a friend's upstairs view, just before they evacuated.



Fortunately, we live on a hill. Though the creek across the road did rise to unprecedented levels, we had no water damage at our own home.


Here is a picture of our front porch view...this one was taken in early fall of last year. It shows the remains of our neighbor's corn crop. The line of trees in the back is where the creek runs:


And here is a shot of that same view during Sunday's rain. Basically we lived across from a river, for awhile:




That water went down by the next morning and the field is ravaged by water but ready to be re-planted.

Today the weather is beautiful. My tiny community currently has no running water but hopefully will that be rectified soon. And as things are, we're just glad we are better off than so many others. For those who lost everything, my heart goes out to you.

10 comments:

Katy said...

do people there have flood insurance? I heard it's not common -- in that case, what an incredible nightmare. Sort of like a mini Katrina. :(

Laryssa Herbert said...

I know it's so sad. My family and I were on a train that had to be evacuated when the tracks ahead washed out.

Classic Retro Glamour said...

Oh my god.. This is insane.. and scary! As long as no one got seriously hurt..!

Elise ~*~ said...

As a Katrina survivor - I know some of the stress and worry. Ya'll will get through this. *hugs Tennessee*

Lorie B said...

I am praying for all of you! I hope the water receeds rapidly and you will all se the help that I know is being rallied right now. I am so very sorry for this to have happened.

infamous whit said...

wow, thank you for writing that post. all of you nashvillians (<-- love the descriptor btw!) are in my prayers.

jewlover2 said...

Katy, no there is no flood insurance in most of these cases since they did not live in a 100 year flood plain. Most of the people who lost their homes did not live anywhere near the river and yet the river rose so quickly, ther ewas no escaping it!

The Opry Mills Mall, which is beside the Opryland hotel, is also underwater. There were several tropical fish aquariums in there, including an exhibit that allowed interraction with stingrays etc. All the fish died EXCEPT the piranhas, which can survive in fresh water. I heard on the news this morning that the piranhas are swimming around the mall...haha. Kind of funny...because they'll probably make it to the river and then we'll have another Amazon.

Lucky Dame said...

The devastation is just horrible. Glad to hear you and your home were safe.

TemperamentalBroad@blogspot.com said...

Thats horrible!! I hope everyone you know and love is ok. And hopefully the sun comes out soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I will pray for all those that have lost their homes.

Post a Comment