home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vintage Family Recipes: Lemon Ice Box Pie


In addition to my love for vintage styling, I also love to cook and vintage recipes are so fun to recreate! This recipe is an old family favorite: Lemon Ice Box Pie.
My grandmother and mother are not the most culinary people, but my grandmother Haleen was amazingly good at this dessert. Her recipe was very simple. I added a few touches of my own to dress it up a little and incorporate my passion for whipped cream.

This is a simple dessert that doesnt require any baking and works well for any time of year. Some would argue that it is most seasonable in the warmer months, but the freshness of lemon is certainly appreciated with the richness of holiday meals as well. It adds a lightness that offsets the heavy meats and casseroles so common during this time of year.

Ingredients:
1 prepared graham cracker crust
1 can condensed milk
3 lemons, to yield 1/4 c. juice
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons lemon zest
Vanilla wafers
1 cup whipping cream, whipped with 2 T. sugar

_______________________________________________

Step One: Zest lemons, using the fine side of a kitchen grater.

Step Two: Juice lemons, being careful to remove any seeds.

Step Three: Combine lemon juice, egg yolks, and one can condensed milk in mixer bowl.

Step Four: Pour into prepared crust, lined with vanilla wafers.

Step Five: Place into refrigerator to set...about two hours, preferably overnight.

Step Six: Whip cream, add to top of pie. Refrigerate again, to allow ingredients to set again.

Step Seven: Sprinkle with reserved lemon zest. Serve with a glass of cold milk.

Video Tutorial available here:

6 comments:

Sarah Jackman said...

I recently found your blog and I love it! Thanks for sharing, and may I say you are lovely even while expecting- I wish I had looked that good in my pregnancies!

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds refreshingly delicious, Ashley, thank you for posting it for us. I love your black and white, vintage styling presentation. You look adorable in your apron too.

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks wonderful! I can't wait to make it for my husband. I love the black and white, vintage styling of your presentation! By the way, you look adorable in your apron.

Anonymous said...

Where did you get that apron?More videos like this please..
check out my blog beautywithrevlon.blogspot.com

Vix said...

Love this, love your blog/youtube and definitely more vintage style recipes (and easy too, me likey the easy recipes!)- I have a question, I'm in the UK, what is a 'graham cracker crust'? Is there an alternative UK version-never heard of it........

jewlover2 said...

Vix, I believe this question was asked in the comments of the video and I think I was similar to a shortbread crust you have available in the pre-made section of your European markets? You might check the comments. :)

Post a Comment